Obstetrics and Gynecology
The department of O & G at Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church Medical College well equipped level III referral centre handling a lot of complicated cases with almost care and dedication. We are now a leading health care team for over four decades from a humble beginning to around 200 patients in a day in our outpatient department. We have an inpatient of around 60 patients.
The department of O & G has been one of the pillars of strength of this institution right from its inception in 1970. Dr Mrs Gunders, Dr Grace & Dr Lissy were leading the department at that time. From the time hospital has started the Medical College in 2002 it is one of the most academically oriented departments.
Dr T N Suseela Bai was the founder Department Head from 2002 to 2016 and she continued as the unit chief till her retirement in 2014. The department is efficiently handling all MBBS students from year 2002. The department had an ongoing DNB programme from the year 1992 to 2005. MS OBG was started in the year 2011 and DGO started in the year 2013. Both of them are recognized by the Medical Council of India and KUHS.
OP timing is from 9 am to 1 pm in morning and 3 pm to 6 pm in the evening.
Very efficient neonatal services are our strength and we have faculties to render tender care to premature babies from above 26 weeks with ventillators, CPAP, round the clock DM’s in neonatology to attend each delivery.
We have a structured undergraduate (MBBS) and Post Graduate training programme
- MS OBG in 3 years
- DGO 2 years
- BSc nursing
- Msc Nursing
1. Academics activities
- All faculties make regular presentations at state and national conferences
- All faculties have papers published in national & international journals
- Regular UG teaching programmes with case presentations seminars, theory classes and various operation demonstration are being conducted.
- Perinatal meetings twice a week on Thursday and Saturday
- Audit - To ensure unbiased, correct and ethical practice, daily audit of the previous day’s clinical problems and monthly review of the clinical work and mortality conference (as and when) are carried out.
- Clinico pathological meeting every alternate month
- Medical camps, Cancer detection clinics, PCO clinics, Adolcent clinics, Menopausal clinics, health education camps.
MBBS CLASS SCHEDULE
1. III semester - 8 weeks
- III semester students have posting for 8 weeks from 9 am to 12 noon from Monday to Wednesday and from 8 am to 12 noon from Thursday to Saturday.
- 8 AM - 9 AM - Clinical theory classes
- 9 AM - 11 AM - ward + PPS theatre + family planning OP
- 11 AM - 12 PM - Clinical discussion
2. V semester - 2 WEEKS
- V semester students have posting for 2 weeks
- 8 AM - 9 AM – Clinical theory classes
- 9 AM -11 AM - ward + Main Theatre
- 11 AM -12 PM - Clinical discussion
3. VI semester-6 WEEKS
- VI semester students have posting for 6 weeks
- 8 AM - 9 AM – Clinical case discussion/Theory classes
- 9 AM - 12 PM - Theatre, ward & OP
4. VIII SEMESTER-4 WEEKS
- VIII semester students have posting for weeks semester students have posting for 4 weeks. During this posting they get Internment posting to familiarize labour.
- 8 AM - 9 AM - Labour case discussion
- Day & night –Internment Posting.
5. IX SEMESTER-4 WEEKS
- IX semester students have posting for 4 weeks.
- 8 AM - 9 AM- case discussions
- 9 AM -12 PM - Theatre & ward
AFTERNOON THEORY CLASSES
|2 PM - 3 PM
1 PM - 2 PM
3 PM - 4 PM
2 PM - 3 PM
THURSDAY & FRIDAY
2.30 PM - 4.30 PM - (Seminar)
2.30 PM - 3.30 PM
2 PM - 3 PM
2.30 PM - 3.30 PM
- Theory Examinations are conducted in VI and VIII semesters
- Practical Examinations are conducted in III, VI and VIII Semesters
- One model Examination is conducted at the end of IX semester
- Help syndrome - An Obstetricians nightmare - Dr. Preetha George, Dr. Jayasree Thankachi
- A Prospective cohort study on the association of latency period with the maternal and neonatal outcomes in premature preterm rupture of membranes - Dr. Anjana Manomohan, Dr. V M Jayasree Thankachi
- Perinatal outcome of pregnancies with borderline amniotic fluid index versus normal amniotic fluid – a prospective cohort study - Dr Dona Sebastian, Dr Annie Soman.
- Case Report: Acute intestinal obstruction complicating pregnancy: diagnosis and surgical management”. BMJ Case Reports 2014.
- Emergency peripartum hysterectomy for primary PPH - An obstetrician’s challenge”.
- “Tuberculosis in pregnancy: Varying presentations”.
- ” Emergency Laparotomy and death in ectopic pregnancy: A rarity now a days/ A descriptive study of ectopic pregnancy cases in tertiary care hospital”.
- “Caesarean scar ectopic Pregnancy”.
- “Caesarean Myomectomy - Versatile Procedure for management of fibroid at C section”.
- “Comparison of metformin with glyburide in gestational diabetes: A double blind randomized clinical trial”.
- “Prevalence of Respiratory Pathogens in Ventilated Patients: A study from South India”.
- “Cytology of uterine cervix by pap smear – A study from south India”.
- ” Multiple Gestation and their outcome: A study from a rural teaching hospital in South India”.
NEWS AND EVENTS
- Conducted CME on medical disorders of pregnancy on May 1st 2016.
- EmocaL workshop attended by all PGs and Faculties.
- To inspire and train undergraduate and post graduate doctors and in the art of women’s medicine
- To promote ethical, high quality clinical research and publication.
- Improve trainee community benefits with team effort- intra department and inter department relationship.
- To inspire and enlighten the trainee and to bring the best from them.
Dr. Annie Soman
She is working in this institution from 1997. Has special interest in High risk pregnancies. She h
Dr. Mini Isac
Mini Isac joined this institution in 1990. Her interest of work is in laparoscopic surgeries and On
Dr. Suja Mary George
She has been working in this institution since 1992. Interested in infertility and laparoscopic surg
Dr. Mary George
She is working in this institution since 1996. She is in charge of family planning clinic and speci
Dr. Miriam George Fenn
Joined this institution in 2004. She is regularly presenting papers in state & National conferences
Dr. Preetha George
She joined in his institution on 2009. She has special interests in adolescent gynaecology and is i
Dr. Usha N
She is interested in Obstetric ultrasound. She is working here from 2008.
Dr. Joshy Das
He is working here from 2011.
Dr. Deepa Bavan
She has been working in our institution since 2011. She has her interest in Infertility and Gynae ul